Tuesday, July 9, 2013

The Coconut is a year!

Maggie turned a year today. She was born at 3:40pm weighing 6lbs 8oz and having a length of 19". Today at her appointment she weighed 14lbs 11oz and had a length of 25.5". She is still in the zero percentile but we are blessed with a pediatrician that doesn't look at the chart and looks at my child and sees she is happy, healthy, and meeting milestones. We have used up our freezer stash of breastmilk and started whole milk. So far so good and she loves it. Matthew was concerned because they taste so different. Turns out not be a concern. She is still nursing when she wakes in the morning. I could probably wean her from that one if I wanted to. It is most likely more for me.

 It took her about a week to get used to a sippy cup as I started weaning her down to one nursing session a 2 weeks ago. I feel blessed that we got a year of breastfeeding snuggles together. It was a rough 2 weeks with her but thanks to the support of my husband we got through it. If you have been following this blog you know we were bullied into formula feeding Maxim at 6months when he was diagnosed with Failure to Thrive (FTT). Maggie also was diagnosed as FTT at 6months. Funny to see dramatically different outcomes. I think this makes me secretly judge those that don't breastfeed/pump for their children. I am lucky here that my group of friends all breastfeed and we all share our knowledge and support with one another.

For instance one Mom had a baby and was determined to BF and even though the baby dropped to 5lbs at one point she never gave up and never supplemented and now that baby is thriving. She said it was because of our support and guidance that she was able to ignore the doctors' pressure to formula feed.

Maggie can stand by herself now and she pulls herself up and walks along furniture too. She makes lots of sounds far more than Max did at this age. Maxim wasn't silent just his sounds were less diverse. Maggie's cake smash pictures came out super cute but she quickly gets tired of cake since she picks at it very daintily with her thumb and index finger. She is a huge eater, like nonstop. I hope she keeps this up. Though Max likes a bunch of food he has narrowed his interest and also doesn't always want to eat when he is supposed to or what he is given. I guess that just comes with him being 2.

1 comment:

  1. That's great that your ped for Maggie was supportive and let you bf even though she's at the zero percentile. And congrats on making 1 year of breastfeeding. =]

    ReplyDelete